was documentary attested for the first time in the year 1368, as old scaffolding towards which various goods from the 3 Romanian countries were directed both on land and on water.
After the freeing of Braila from the Turkish occupation, further to the clauses within the Peace Treaty from Adrianopol in 1829, the Activity in Braila Harbour was subject to a lot of transformations and developments.
In 1891, the Docs of Braila Harbour and the warehouses (designed by Anghel Saligny) started to operate.
On the eve of the 2nd world war, the facilities of the harbour were limited to 5 electrical quay cranes, one power plant, 3 tugboats and 4 fork lifts, the work itself beeing done manually.
According to the statistic of the Local Chamberof Labour, by the end of 1937, Braila harbour had 2850 workers.
Cereals had an important share within the structure of the Braila traffic.
The 2nd world war had ill-fated consequences on the harbour.
Beginning with 1948, the harbour activity was improved by increasing the number of vessels operating in the harbour and diversifying the traffic of goods:
cereals, phosphates, ores, colas, cement, chemical fertilizers, rolled products, aluminium, quarry products, a.s.o..
Important investments were made in the coming years in the harbour:
- warehouses, platforms, vertical quays, various facilities.
Consequently, the traffic increased from 428,000 tons in 1950 to 2,360,000 tons in 1987.